DoD Knowledge Base: FAQs

Requesting DD-214 and other military records
Published: 07/08/2002 | Updated:  07/29/2014
How can I obtain a copy of my DD-214?
When an individual is separated from military service his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center. The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government. Their web site is