DoD Knowledge Base: FAQs

Verifying Active Duty Military Status or Civilian Employment with the DoD.
Published: 10/25/2007 | Updated:  10/07/2014

How can I verify employment for military members and civilian employees?

The Department of Defense does not verify employment for active duty military members or for civilian employees by telephone. If you are seeking verification of military service or employment with DoD by phone, please use the contact phone numbers on the person's resume, or application, to reach the DoD office or military organization at which they work or have worked previously.

Verification at the DoD level is managed through web sites or through the military services. To verify the employment status of current and former DoD civilians, please visit the Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service (DCPAS) website for further information.

To verify Active Duty status for military members, as authorized under the Service members Civil Relief Act, please go to the Defense Manpower and Data Center website for further information and verification.

To use either of these services, you will need the individual's social security number as well as some other basic personal data such as legal name and date of birth.