DoD Knowledge Base: FAQs

Locating An Old Buddy from the Military
Published: 02/08/2006 | Updated:  08/01/2014
How can I locate my old military buddy/friend?

The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits releasing the last known address of former military members without their written consent. However, the agency identified below will assist your search by forwarding your letter to the service member's last known address.

The proper agency to contact is the National Archives - Military Personnel Record Center (MPRC). Their information is as follows:

Telephone: 314-801-0800

According to MPRC:

Write a letter to the Servicemember you are trying to reach. Place this letter in a sealed and stamped envelope, including your full name and return address. Write another letter addressed to the National Personnel Records Center requesting their assistance with your search. Be sure to include the service member's name, serial number and/or social security number, and date of birth if available. - Place your envelope addressed to the service member AND the letter to the National Personnel Records Center in ONE envelope. Address this envelope to: National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200.

Please note current addresses for discharged service members are not maintained at the records center - this center only has the service member's last officially recorded address. Letters to service members the record center can not identify or who are known to be deceased will be returned to you.