DoD Knowledge Base: FAQs
GUIDANCE FOR REQUESTING AN AMERICAN FLAG(s) TO BE FLOWN OVER THE PENTAGON
1. The requestor must provide the flag. Due to limited space the request must be submitted no more than 15 business days in advance and at least 5 business days before the requested date for the flag to be flown.
2. Each returned flag will be accompanied by a certificate verifying the date upon which the flag was flown and the name of the person for whom the flag was flown.
3. The requestor (without Pentagon access) must provide within the package return postage from the post office or another requestor pre-paid shipping method (i.e. FedEx or UPS Air Bill with an account number) for the flag and certificate to be returned. (The Pentagon Force Protection Agency (PFPA) cannot accept cash or checks for the return postage. PFPA is not responsible for providing return postage.)
4. The requestor will be notified immediately to arrange for shipping if return postage or another paid shipping method is not received with the flag so that the flag and certificate can be returned. (Flag(s) will not be held for more than 30 days from date of receipt.)
5. For the requestor without Pentagon access, a typed or printed letter of request must accompany the flag and contain the following information: - The name of the person and organization of the flag recipient - The occasion the flag will be flown for, if any (e.g. retirements, anniversary, birthday, etc.) - The specific date the flag is requested to be flown on. If no date is specified, the flag will be flown within 15 business days of receipt. - The point of contact's name, address, and their telephone number (commercial and/or DSN) or email address.
6. Requestors with Pentagon access my go directly to 5B890 during the hours specified below.
WRITTEN REQUESTS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED TO: Pentagon Force Protection Agency, 9000 Defense Pentagon, Room 5B890, Washington, DC 20301-9000. IF YOU HAVE PENTAGON ACCESS: Monday-Friday (excluding Federal Holidays) 0900-1230 and 1400-1600 Pentagon, Telephone number (703) 692-7842.