DoD Knowledge Base: FAQs

Federal Voting Assistance Program
Published: 09/11/2008 | Updated:  08/18/2014
Where can I find more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program?
Under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, soldiers, sailors, Airmen, Marines, Coast Guardsmen and DoD civilians who are not registered but eligible to vote, may request an absentee ballot to participate in the upcoming election.

All military units have voting assistance officers, and each American embassy or consulate can help U.S. citizens exercise their rights to vote. In addition, the Federal Voting Assistance Program,, provides online voter registration for certain states. Citizens of participating states can register online and receive a ballot; however they must meet all registration deadlines and use regular mail to send in the completed ballots.

Overseas servicemembers and civilians can vote by absentee ballot.